Fiscal Sponsorship is defined as umbrella financial support allowing the successful applicant to have non-profit status. This allows access to tax deductible gifts and donations given in their name to the Fiscal Sponsor (donations which may be tax deductible or otherwise to the giver, depending on their status), and operate according to a set of bylaws and mission statement defining their organization or event as charitable, scientific, literary, or for educational purposes.
Fiscal Sponsor or Sponsor: A registered 501(c)(3) organization which has made legal arrangements to allow for the fiscal sponsoring of projects.
Project: An organization or event which wishes to operate as a nonprofit group or organization with a charitable, non-commercial purpose without acquiring independent status as a nonprofit organization.
For Driftless Art Collective, Fiscal Sponsorship is an important part of how we serve the Northeast Iowa Driftless Region. Driftless Art Collective, or Dartco, has established itself as an organization with 501(c)(3) status willing to give Projects (one-off, ongoing, or incubator style developing organizations) this opportunity if they demonstrate an ability to support the mission of Dartco and compliment its programming.
Our mission is to empower our community and ourselves to network and foster partnerships, so together we can create stronger art-related events, cultural activities and educational opportunities, in the Northeast Iowa Driftless Region.
Get in touch with us by email if you’re like more information or want to discuss the suitability of a potential project.
How does it work?
Through this agreement and the position of the Project as a Member Organization of Driftless Art Collective, Dartco (the Sponsor) authorizes official representatives of the Fiscally Sponsored Project (President of the Board, Executive Board members, Project Leader as necessary) use of Dartco Tax ID number for applications to seek and make applications for tax deductible funding from for profit, non-profit businesses, and individuals for the purposes of fulfilling the mission and goals of the organization.
How do I get Fiscal Sponsorship?
- Research your project:
- Read up on nonprofits and ensure this is right for you and your ideas. A really good, in depth guide can be found here.
- Look into suitable funding options including grants, how to seek donations, memberships, volunteers, etc.
- Email us to request the Application Guidelines, Terms of Agreement, and Application and give them a thorough read-through, try answering the questions.
- Contact Dartco via email to discuss your ideas.
- When you’re ready to apply:
- Complete the Application Form including goals, mission, and answer questions about funding.
- Submit with your application fee $25 non-refundable fee for all new COMPLETE applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Dartco will review applications for Fiscal Sponsorship four times per year: April, July, October, and January at our Full Board Meetings.
- If your application is accepted, you will be invited to the Board for additional questions and presented with the Terms of Agreement.
- Dartco will arrange a meeting with the applicant contact, a representative from our Board, and a Notary to sign the agreement.
- You are now ready to put your plans into action.
Guidelines & Application
Explore our current and recent Fiscally Sponsored Projects here.